Saturday 20 December 2008

Festive fun?

I know, I know! It's been three months since I wrote on my blog. Arl's always on to me with stuff like: `A blog isn't coursework, you know, Madge. There's no excuse for not keeping it up to date.'
And I'm like: `It's OK for you. You don't have Godzilla on your case every day and the tutor from Hell every weekend.'
Honestly - this term has been a nightmare! Don't let anyone ever tell you that Year 11 is fun - because it's NOT! It's horrible: I hate it! All I've done since September is work, work, work. Coursework, homework, even housework! Mainly because Belinda went back to work this term and Gran says she's got no time because she looks after the baby. Now there's something to make your blood run cold - my gran looking after anything that lives and breathes. I wouldn't trust her to look after a fossilised frog, let alone my tiny little vulnerable baby sister. But Dad and Belinda seem to have taken leave of their senses - not that they had any in the first place - well, Dad didn't; although I always held out more hope for Belinda in that department. Sadly not, though. And who has to pick up the pieces of this little domestic dysfunction? Me!
I've had no social life for three months and, worse still, no love life. How sad am I? Almost sixteen (well, fifteen and four months) and I'm already a housewife. That is so NOT what I had planned for my life.
So when we finished school yesterday lunchtime, I thought I'd take the opportunity to grab some quality time with my mates down at the Filling Station before we went into town to spend some serious dosh and try and kick start the economy in a single afternoon.
But when we got to the coffee shop, who should be there sucking the face off Kara (netball knickers) Kennedy, but Daniel! Yuk! Honestly, he's been going out with her for about four months now - has he no self respect? Not that I'm remotely interested in him as a boyfriend, you understand. Been there, done that and have the emotional scars to prove it. But I do care about him - strictly on a friendship level of course.
Anyway, Seema, Arl and I decided not to hang about in the face of such grossness so we turned round to leave. But then we heard a yell from the booth where Daniel and Ms Twenty-twelve were playing tonsil hockey.
`What?' Daniel sounded shocked. `I was so NOT eyeing her up.'
`I saw you!' screamed Kara.
`How could see anything?' Daniel's voice was raised. `You were supposed to be kissing me.'
This sounded juicy, so I snuck into the booth next to them and surreptitiously pulled Seema and Arl in with me.
`I had my eyes open,' Kara said. (Which so proves that it's not passion if she keeps her eyes open.) Then she added victoriously, `And so did you. As I moved back, I caught you looking over my shoulder at her.'
Oooo - I looked round the Filling Station to see who'd come in that Daniel could have been looking over Sporty Spice's shoulder at?
I could hear Daniel's voice getting higher and higher pitched. `I'm sick of you and your petty jealousy. I didn't even notice her come in!'
`Ah ha!' Kara stood up, so I ducked down even lower behind the bench seating that separated us. `So how did you know that she had come in?' Oooops! Looked like Daniel had given himself away. `I've had enough! You can forget the Lyles' party tomorrow. I'll go on my own. We are so over, Daniel. Run home to your little Magenta!' What!!!!! I could hardly believe my ears. Then Kara leaned over the top of our seat and said to me, `You're welcome to him.' And she walked out.
Whoa! This was massive. I sat up and looked at Arl and Seema for advice. `What do I do now?' I mouthed. But they both shrugged. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained, as my gran always says. So I knelt up on my seat and leaned over to where Daniel was sitting, staring into his hot chocolate.
`Hi Daniel. You OK?'
But he looked up at me, groaned and said, `Haven't you caused enough trouble already?'
Cheek! And I said I cared about him as a friend? Well, you can forget that. With friends like Daniel, who needs enemies?
Anyway, on the positive side, the Dungbeetle (my geriatric tutor) has gone away for Christmas, so I don't have to go to him this morning and tonight is Angus and Magnus Lyle's party. Ooooo I can't wait. Who knows, my first Christmas present might be a new boyfriend! Now, what shall I wear?

No comments: